Navratri is an auspicious occasion that is celebrated for the nine nights. People have whole-heartedly welcomed Navratri this year with great zeal and excitement. Finally, it is garba time, the moment which is most-awaited! Navratri is an important Hindu festival that continues for nine days followed by Dussehra or Vijaya Dashmi. Goddess Durga in her nine forms is worshiped for these nine nights. Devi Ma is the ultimate divine feminine power. People across the country offer prayers to Goddess Durga [Ma Shakti].
This year Navratri has just begun from Thursday, 21st September and will end on Friday, 29th September. It is a popular Hindu festival which varies from state to state including Gujarat, Maharashtra, North India, Bihar, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and West Bengal. The nine distinct avatars of Goddess Durga are also referred as “Nav Durga”. This is an amazing festival of victory of goodness over evil. People worship Goddess Durga in her nine avatars with offerings, flowers and traditional rituals for seeking Her blessings. Sharad Navratri comes in September or October.
|Day 1, Thursday||21st September||Yellow||Shailputri Puja|
|Day 2, Friday||22nd September||Green||Brahmacharini Puja|
|Day 3, Saturday||23rd September||Grey||Chandraghanta Puja|
|Day 4, Sunday||24th September||Orange||Kushmanda Puja|
|Day 5, Monday||25th September||White||Skandamata Puja|
|Day 6, Tuesday||26th September||Red||Katyayani Puja|
|Day 7, Wednesday||27th September||Royal Blue||Kalaratri Puja|
|Day 8, Thursday||28th September||Pink||Mahagauri Puja|
|Day 9, Friday||29th September||Purple||Siddhidatri Puja|
Uniqueness of Navratri
The festival of Navratri is all about celebrations, colors, music, dance, and sweets. Navratri holds a vast importance for the people residing in Gujarat, Maharastra, and Punjab. They observe nine-day Navratri fast. They offer fruits and other delicacies to Goddess Durga that is distributed to the devotees as Prasad.
- Colorful Chaniya Cholis: Girls would love to adorn themselves with some of the beautiful chaniya cholis this Navratri. They can dazzle the garba ground with few stylish chaniya cholis designs like – Floral chaniya choli, Floral Print chaniya choli, Mirror Work chaniya choli, Front Zip choli, Pompom chaniya choli, Cold Shoulder chaniya choli, Bandhini Dupatta chaniya choli, Leheriya ghagra, Kalamkari print, Shirt with lehenga. Look attractive and fashionable with colorful, eye-catchy chaniya cholis. Girls can also wear nine auspicious colors during Navratri.
- Garba Songs: Navratri gets brightened with exciting garba and dandiya throughout the nine nights. Some peppy songs that are danced for garba and dandiya playlist includes: ‘Chalti Hai Kya 9 se 12’and ‘Oonchi Hai Building’ (from Judwaa 2), ‘Lagdi Hai Thaai’ (from Simran), ‘Tamma Tamma Again’ (from Badri Ki Dulhania), ‘Nachun Main Aaj Cham Cham Cham’ (from Baaghi), ‘Suit Suit’ and ‘Oh Ho Ho Ho’ (from Hindi Medium), ‘Cutie Pie’ (from Ae Dil Hai Mushkil), ‘Udi Udi Jaye’ (from Raees), ‘Beat Pe Booty’ (from The Flying Jatt), ‘The Humma Song’ (from OK Jaanu), ‘Nagada Sang Dhol Baaje’ (from Ram Leela), ‘Pari Hoon Mai’, ‘Dholi Taro Dhol Baaje’ (from Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam), ‘Jai Ambe Jagadambe Maa’, and many more. Well-known singers give live performances in many places.
- Navratri Vrat Dishes: This festival can be embraced with special fasting recipes. Indulge in some of the yummiest dishes made at home quickly, like – Almond crushed milk, Sabudana khichdi, Singhare ke atte ke samosa, Low-fat Makhana kheer, Sabudana vada, Aloo ki kadhi, Poori-channa, Halwa, etc.
- Navratri Decorations: Navratri is the best time to decorate your home. One can give their interiors a festive twist. A round of fresh painting, replacing old items with new ones, polishing those brass statues and rearranging the furniture. Theme-based décor is introduced for the indoor design like – Go Green, Bollywood, bottle art, wooden design, modern art. Other fresh additions to the home to make it festive ready are: cushions in silk, zari or chanderi embroidered fabrics; colorful flowers; scented candles; copper and brass crockery; bright ornate lighting, carved painting.
Wishing everyone a very Happy Navratri! Enjoy your Navratri with family and friends, and dance to the tunes of Garba and Dandiya! 🙂
Follow me as google.com/+SanghamitraRoychoudhary
Latest posts by Sanghamitra Roychoudhary (see all)
- ‘Kehne Ko Humsafar Hain’ Streaming Now On AltBalaji: A Unique Web Series - Mar 22, 2018
- Colors showcase a New Show “Bepannaah” from March 19 - Mar 20, 2018
- Effective Tips to Stay Perfectly Healthy At Your Office - Mar 15, 2018