Ganesh Chaturthi is the most prominent Hindu festival that is rejoiced on the birth of Lord Ganesha, the only son of Shiva and Parvati. This year the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated from 5th September to 14th September. Mainly it is a ten-day celebration in Maharashtra and Gujarat. Lord Ganesha arrives on this earth for all his devotees on Ganesh Chaturthi, also identified as Vinayak Chaturthi. Lord Ganapati is the elephant-headed God who removes all the obstacles of life as He is popularly known as Vighnaharta. He also grants his wisdom and prosperity as He is named as Buddhi Pradaayaka.
Lord Ganesha is worshipped and adored before all the Gods in Hindu religion. Ganpatiji showers all the positive vibes within people. Everyone remembers him at the start of all new endeavors for his immense blessings. This festival is also celebrated in Kerala, Karnataka, West Bengal, Odisha, and Telangana. Some keep Lord Ganesha at their place for five days, or three days, or one and half days. Lord Ganpati is welcomed with huge enthusiasm and worshiped wholeheartedly.
Ganesh Chaturthi: Grand Celebrations
Since two-three months from the starting day of Ganesh Puja, the idols of Lord Ganesha are made of clay models which may range from ¾ inches to almost 25 feet in sizes. Then the models are painted in red that is followed by golden and other distinct colors. He is merrily brought home by everyone cheering, “Ganpati Bappa Maurya” and also with Bollywood songs relating to ‘Ganpati’. The priest chants mantras as he summons life in the idol which is known as “pranapratishhtha” ritual. Then he chants sixteen other rituals of paying homage to the Lord which is known as “shhodashopachara”.
Ganesha is worshipped for all the ten days in the morning and evening. People gather in crowds to visit various mandaps of Lord Ganesha. Just like people bring home Lord Ganesha with great excitement accompanied by singing and dancing, in the same way, they immerse Him by joining in the final procession, saying ‘Ganpathi Bappa Maurya, Purchya Varshi Laukariya” which means O Father Our Ganesha, come soon again the next year. They do the last puja by offering flowers, sweets, and coconuts, and then immerse the Lord in the river.
Ideas for Celebrations
- Go for Eco-Friendly Ganesha Idols: Lord Ganesha is the protector of nature. He is the lovable son of Lord Shiva and Devi Parvati, and he is well-known for his sense of humor. It is extremely significant to bring home an eco-friendly Ganesha, and celebrate green Ganesh Chaturthi.
- Decorate the Ganesha Platform and Background: Before Ganesha approaches, the Ganesha platform should be well-decorated. Craft a lotus-shaped seat for the Lord. The throne on which He will sit should look majestic. The background should look appealing with silky screens lined up, or decorated with shining papers, and balloons. Insert vertical colorful lightings inside the mandap.
- Aarti Plate decoration for Ganesh Chaturthi: When Lord Ganesha is placed on his seat, everyone likes doing puja. You can prepare a beautiful Aarti plate by velvet papers and stickers, and paintings nicely on the edges.
- Arrange for Flower Garlands: Ensure to make fresh flower garlands daily for Lord Ganesha. Garlands made of marigold flowers look superb on Ganpatiji. Even red flowers are also offered to Him.
- Make a Pretty Rangoli: A Rangoli made in front of home or mandap looks wonderful. It can be either of Ganpati design or any other flower designs that will bring great look.
- Prepare Sweets for Ganesh Chaturthi: Lord Ganesha loves Ladoos and Modaks. He is just like a cute baby who likes sweets very much. You can either make variety of Ladoos (like Coconut Ladoos, Boondi ka Ladoos, Malai Ladoos, Besan Ladoos, Badam Ladoos, Rava Ladoos, Motichoor Ladoos) or Modaks (like Chocolate and Walnut Modaks, Mawa Modaks, Modaks with Nuts and Poppy Seeds) at home, or bring from sweet shops, and then offer Lord. Both these sweets are favorites of Lord Ganesha.
- Cultural Activities held: People celebrate these ten days participating in various cultural activities such as orchestra, singing performances and theatre acts, drawing competitions, fashion shows, fancy-dress competition. They also go for community activities such as blood donation camps, free medical check-ups, donations for needy, etc.
- Simple Crafts for Ganesh Puja: Children can make beautiful Ganesha cards by their own hands. They can use their own creativity to come up with nice drawings of Lord Ganesha.
Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to all you guys and girls! May Lord shower His blessings upon you; wards off obstacles and bring happiness in their lives! 🙂
Follow me as @SanghamitraRch on Twitter.
Latest posts by Sanghamitra Roychoudhary (see all)
- Culinary Journeys: Exploring Global Food Scenes - Sep 3, 2023
- Secrets of Wellness: Exploring the Timeless Practices for Body and Soul - Sep 3, 2023
- Festivals Galore: Immersing in Scottsdale’s Vibrant Culture - Aug 30, 2023
A proficient Web Content Developer (Technical and Non-Technical Writer), Blogger, and Freelance Content Writer. A happy author of www.w3buzz.in! She is a creative person, always eager to learn new aspects, and seeking new ways for improving skills in her field. She loves traveling & photography; also, a sports enthusiast!
Follow me as @SanghamitraRch on Twitter.